Friday, May 9, 2008

Time for mashups

The mashup I chose to explore was Weather Bonk. Here is the page for my area, Lexington, Kentucky. It's a blend of the following interfaces: Google AdWords + Google Maps + hostip.info + Microsoft Virtual Earth + NASA + NOAA Weather Service + WeatherBug + Yahoo Geocoding + Yahoo Maps + Yahoo Traffic.

Basically it has temperatures, radar images, precipitation, and satellite data overlaid onto a Google Map. It also shows webcams and forecasts.

I suppose the thing I like most about this and probably other mashups is how seemless they've brought everything together and melded it together into one thing.

The other thing we were to explore this time were search rolls. Search roll services such as Rollyo allow the user to create a set of blogs in which to search and then provides the interface to do so. One of the oness I found for 'privacy', the search term we were supposed to use, was the Annoyed Librarian's post on anonymity and pseudonymity online and why it's important. I created my own search roll of reference items called rabidreference. Have fun with it.

4 comments:

Kawamitas said...

^^

vocalise said...

Hi. This is random. I saw your name when I clicked on The Diary of Anne Frank to see who else had listed that as a favorite book. My maiden name is Rowan. My father is Robert...his parents were Milo and Anna from Ririe,Idaho. Any of that sound at all familiar?

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Girl on the Front Porch said...

you have an amazing range of literary interests... I think I need to branch out!