Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Up to social networking

I signed up for Facebook tonight. I found someone I knew in high school and sent a request to her to be a Facebook friend. She sent me zombies. I'm still not sure what the etiquette is about dealing with zombies, so I let them be, rather than passing them on. My Facebook profile can be viewed. For those of you in the class, feel free to request me as a friend.

I have a MySpace page already, so I have a little experience there.

Here's the questions we were asked...

How can social networking be used by MLA to connect members

It's easy to make connexions using social networking, so long as people are willing to participate. It's just a matter of clicking to send a friend request. If you have a centralised site for the MLA in terms of MySpace, that probably makes it easier. I'm not familiar enough with Facebook yet to know how best to go about using it specifically to help connect MLA, but once they are connected, it's fun to see differences and similarities...something far beyond just a name and contact info.

Should your library have a Facebook or MySpace page?

I think there's definitely an audience for public libraries. I don't know about hospital or medical ones. So much of the social networking arena is blocked by our tech departments, I don't know how useful it would be.

Are there privacy concerns for individuals when using social networking sites?

Of course, especially about minors, but they're the same as anywhere you go online--don't post information you wouldn't want you worst enemy to see. Simple as that!

What did you like or not like about your experience with Facebook or MySpace? I really like the applications they have, some just fun, some really useful. I did go into the zombie application and accidentally bit Bart Ragon, only to find that he is a super zombie lord with several zombies under him. :)

No comments: