Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ever wonder what a proto-librarian looks like?


reading
Originally uploaded by eilir
This is me at age 13 or 14. I was always an avid reader (especially of fantasy), but I never really considered being a librarian until I'd graduated from college, gone through a divorce, and realised I didn't know what I wanted to be when I grew up. Back when this picture was taken, I wanted to be an optometrist. I'd probably make a lot more money, but I love what I do now, too.

This week we're working on photo sharing, using services like flickr.com.

There are some great things about using a photo sharing site. One, you don't have to have your own server or pay someone to host. A lot of free websites won't let you host pictures in your space due to bandwidth issues, for example. This way, you get to populate your blogs, websites, and other pages with pictures easily.

You can also share a picture easily among friends, family, co-workers, etc. So, you can post that picture you took at the conference, put it on your website, and tell people all about it. You can tag (creating a folksonomy) and organise photos as well to find them easier. And you can comment on other people's pictures. :)

I can see flickr as especially great for small libraries that may not have banks of servers at their disposal. It's also good for networking with colleagues and putting a face onto the library for patrons, humanising it if you will.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are lots of other uses out there. I need to read some of my colleagues' blogs and get their ideas.

No comments: